The Position – Operations Engineer:
The Operations Engineer will be an instrumental member of Standard Biocarbon’s (SBC’s) start-up team
as it installs its first pyrolysis units at the Pleasant River Lumber Mill (PRL) in Enfield, Maine. The
Operations Engineer will be engaged in the initial startup and be based in the Enfield area to oversee
operations for at least the first year. The Operations Engineer will be involved in the startup and
operation of future units.
Qualifications / Experience:
▪ A degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
▪ 5 – 10 years of experience operating or managing chemical process plants or similar at a
manufacturing or processing facility (e.g. pellet mill, biomass power plant).
▪ Demonstrated track record of success in a supervisory role able to hire, develop and manage
▪ Expertise and /or familiarity with design and running of the following operations and equipment:
o Solid materials handling
o fluid flow and piping design
o heat exchangers
o control valves,
o programming and running electronic control systems
o basic electrical engineering
▪ Familiarity with:
o air emission and non-contact cooling water discharge permitting.
o Health & Safety and OSHA Regs.
▪ Fluent in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word
A strong commitment to safety
▪ Demonstrated expertise in the technical aspects of manufacturing including quality control,
machine-center performance, optimization, maintenance and troubleshooting.
▪ Collaborative mind-set focused on team building and working with senior management towards
Job Description: The Operations Engineer is part of the management team and will have 4 direct reports
(operators) responsible for 24/7 operations with shutdown windows for maintenance. Specific tasks
▪ Oversee daily facilities operations including production equipment (pyrolysis kilns) and all
related plant equipment; ▪ Hire and train operators to run round-the-clock operations.
▪ Serve as liaison between SBC and PYREG https://pyreg.com – the manufacturer of SBC’s
pyrolysis equipment. Successful candidates should expect occasional short trips to Europe.
▪ Develop the maintenance budget and maintain spare parts inventory.
▪ Assist in acquiring necessary equipment needed for operations (e.g., loader, screens, conveyors,
grinders, material handling, bagging, etc).
▪ Generate, review, and analyze reporting related to production efficiency, quality, and
maintenance Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s)
▪ Participate in regular management calls and meetings
▪ Manage safety programs and environmental compliance at the facility.
About Standard Biocarbon (SBC):
We are a startup based in Portland, Maine, that is looking to build a new industry to address climate
change, improve soils, support sustainable forestry and rural economic revitalization. Our goal is to
produce biochar, a product made from wood that is converted to near pure carbon through pyrolysis/
carbonization. To learn more about our company, visit us here https://www.standardbiocarbon.com/.
Send Resume and Cover letter to:
Standard Biocarbon, Marine Trade Center 2 Portland Fish Pier Suite 211 Portland, ME 04101
Standard Biocarbon Corp. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees
without regard to race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital
status, national origin (ancestry), age, disability, political affiliation or military status.
Contact: Tamara Risser Trisser@standardbiocarbon.com